StormNexus

A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
It is currently Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Strength monk?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:25 am 
Pack Penguin

Has anyone ever played a strength based monk? And if you have was it worth it or should you just stay with the typical dex based epic dodge theme? Just thought it might be kinda different to go around thumping fists real hard on stuff and with the extra kick the monk gloves have on them they might actually do good damage. Seems AB might get up pretty high also with the great str feats adding to AB. Anyhow just looking for a different kind of character to try and build. Most monks I know of are dex based with high AC but not much AB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:57 am 
Pirate Penguin

Well, I haven't tested it, but I've made test builds on my own module as well as gone deep into the pros and cons of a Str based monk. And actually...it seems pretty sick (as in awesome). There's two ways to go about it really:

1. Solely Monk/Fighter class, go all for Str and AB. You'll be a punching, kicking, arse-whooping Aye-YAH powerhouse of doom that can take most characters out in one or two rounds. Downside? You'll be just as easy to kill, since your AB is your only focus, AC will suffer tremendously. Not to mention getting only 8 Hit Points per level will mean you aren't the toughest character on the block either. Then again though...think of 6-7 Attacks Per Round, 60 or so damage minimum each hit. 'S nice :D.

2. Monk/Barbarian, or better yet Monk/Dwarven Defender. Throwing in at least a -little- defense into such a build would help a lot. Considering you want to use Str as your AB, your AC isn't going to get you far, so adding Dmg Reduction and Elemental Resistances is the next best step to keeping your powerhouse monk alive. And staying alive is half the game, of course. Your AB might suffer a bit from the lack of feats and ability points compared to the above Monk/Fighter build, but it will be a much better opponent to reckon with.

Either way, I suggest you take 18 Levels of monk at minimum. You'll get the speed bonus, but mainly the feat Empty Body, which gives you 50% concealment for an amount of rounds equal to Monk level, 2 times a day. Basically, you'll take half the hits you normally take in melee, which gives you twice the life-span of most characters. It would pretty much be vital to keep a Str Monk alive. 'Nuff said.

All in all, a Str monk would rock some people's socks more than you'd think. Just depends on how many Monk levels you wanna take, and whether you want a decent Defense or not. My own monk, Calithro, is going for a Str build next ascension (whenever that happens). All I know is Damage Reduction, high AB, and Empty Body are the keys to this build, just needs minor tweaking and some free time to play with in order to get it down.

Goodluck, PM me if you have anymore questions I can help you with :D.

Chars:
Calithro: Like a bean burrito, I shall return!
Duce: ...I enjoy nothing but bathroom tissue near my rear.
Twe: Eat PAW! *Kick*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:35 pm 
King of Penguins

On the downside, such a build will not be able to hide very well. So you have to make sure you can kill effectively.