StormNexus

A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
It is currently Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Druid spells
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:03 am 
Master of Penguins

Is drown and stonehold nerfed in anyway on sn..Or is there a list of nerfed druid spells?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:41 pm 
Ninja Pirate Penguin

From what I have noticed they don't seem to be, but then again my highest druid hasn't been past 20 so I can't tell you for the epics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:56 am 
Pink Penguin

Stonehold worked last I checked, it is one of the better druid spells. not sure about drowned. All those spells like stonehold that are heartbeat only roll a save once though, not every round. At least that was my understanding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:28 am 
Penguin Lord

Drown works when the summoned Water Elemental casts it. I should know one time it killed me when I summoned it in a fight to 'help me'. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:46 am 
Master of Penguins

thats just funny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:37 am 
King of Penguins

the water elemental drown is different to the spell Drown. The spell does 90% damage, where as the special ability kills. Also, the special ability is not a spell, so it ignore spell resistance.

I'm VERY familiar with that special ability, not so much with this spell...

Rico De'vega - Forsaken Scout and Loudmouth.
Phoenix - Professor of Spontaneous Thaumaturgical Combustions (and more) of the PhD.
Palm Vana - "I don't whistle when I walk!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:15 am 
Penguin Lord

Thanks Fafnir!

Much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:06 pm 
King of Penguins

I just realised I forgot to mention the other interesting difference between Drown Spell and ability. Ability is an area of effect (which is why you died) and Drown is a single target spell.

It may be nerfed simply by items however, as reading over NWNWiki I have learnt the spell deals bludgeoning damage (and it's 90% of current hp not max). This means it can be slowed by both immunities and resistance.

Example, cast on a 1000/1000 hp Fighter wearing 25% immune armor. Takes 675 damage instead of 900.
Now the fighter is at 325/1000 Cast again.
Takes about 219 instead of 292 (About is there because the answer had evil decimals in it).

Example two, cast on a naked 1000/1000 hp fighter
Fighter now on 100 health, casts again
Fighter now on 10 health.

That's just part of the server, it's unfortunate, sure, but it happens. The spell is still a hefty hit, particularly on the first cast. But then it's a fortitude save for no damage at all...

My best suggestion is to take a high level druid and get some tests run. Spell focus and extra wisdom is easy enough to factor in after you give it a go. Druids aren't too hard to train either, so if you're really feeling up to it just create a druid and play it when nobody's watching. That's assuming you haven't got one already.

Something else to remember also is that it's an 8 m spell range... which is the same as finger of death.

Stonehold I probably wouldn't bother with. Why? Because it's mind effecting. Mind spells are good 'n all but if someone is watching they could get that clarity up before your stonehold takes effect. It's also paralysis, which means that Freedom will negate it. So you end up with two hour/level buffs (mind blank for mind spells) that can render your spell useless. Also, level 7 PMs and level 20 monks are ALL immune to this spell.

I hope that mild block of text was a little more helpful then the last one. I decided to try some different spices, it should lower the fiery hit, but still have that informative core that just tastes so delicious.

I know, it wasn't as good as Hydra's metaphor, but I have to get back in to metaphor slugging before I can best that one...

I just realised that my last post wasn't even crumpet sized! Woe to me... I have made a fool of myself.

Rico De'vega - Forsaken Scout and Loudmouth.
Phoenix - Professor of Spontaneous Thaumaturgical Combustions (and more) of the PhD.
Palm Vana - "I don't whistle when I walk!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:52 pm 
Seer of Penguins

Well Simkin you pose a very good question.

To be 100% clear, I have done a caster DC druid and about 1 million variants of the class. The main issue with the druid spells is that they are either elemental in nature or that the most effective holding spells are in fact low level. Which makes it harder to use them only because the DC's are usually fortitude dependant.

Usually Drown only works on those who are first ascension, and without items. With a Fort 45 or above your opponent is not likely to ever get hit by this spell. Drow although a deadly thing is hard to pull off. I know I have tried and even with a level 39 Druid, all my spell focus's in transmutation I still needed most enemies to roll a 1 before it would work.

Stone hold, is excellent at informing people that sneakers are on their way. Although it is a will save it, as Fanfir mentioned is completely dependant on whether the person has mental protection, immune to paralyze and or all of the above it will only alert you of their presence. Which I have used before for only that purpose.

If your looking for any specific's on the druids spell choices I would be more than glad to help you. Although I find that better spells, both PVP and PVE tend to be the Hold Monster Hold Person type spells. They don't always work, but you have a better chance at snagging an enemy with them.

I really hope this helps in some way.

Trapped under ice...Comfortably cold
I've gone as low as you can go
Feel no remorse...No sense of shame
Time's gonna wash away all pain ~ KMFDM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:10 am 
Pink Penguin

I have had a 40 druid on this server and never really used drown too much, Mainly because I wasn't specialized in transmutation. Also the fortitude save kills the spells usefulness with people trying to max fortitude to live through a higher level spell like implosion from the cleric list.

Finger of death ends up being more useful than drown to my experience pve. Deathward makes this spell sort of useless unless a mage is stripping people with mordekainen's disjunction.

Stonehold is useful but again the will save (i believe) makes it harder for it to be truly effective and I think its easily countered by freedom of movement.

Bombardment is interesting because it does have a short 1 round stun component to a very large area. I believe there may be an extra save component for that. But it will stun everything including yourself if you aren't careful where you put it.

right now I have a druid/monk who can help you if you need. Just message Gyr and I can log him on. It's been a while since I Played him.

Post subject: Re: Druid spells
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:00 am 
Master of Penguins

Sorry for the late reply..I hope I can get this conversation going again...From what i read from Kriss is that i do need spell focus so that helps..Looks like i'll be going into the vaults to read up some more..If anyone has any little helpfull tips PM me please..This will be only my 3 attempt at a caster and the frist attempt at a pure anything..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:18 am 
Former AT

Don't forget to look here too..
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19190

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:01 am 
Master of Penguins

Aye thanks