StormNexus

A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
It is currently Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:19 am 
Pack Penguin

Hi, All.

Now that I've gotten and tried one of the epic summons (Mummy Dust: uber monk-like thing), I'm at a loss for what I'd actually use it for. It's level is so high, it attracts extra difficult creatures, yet it's not capable of killing some of them, even one on one. Worse, it seeps a lot of XP. Care has to be taken not to bring it into high AB KD territory as it has a Discipline of 15. It's AC is so high, most creatures' AI decide they'd target the caster.

My question to you is: in what situations do you think that summon is tactically or even strategically beneficial?

I've yet to try the Dragon Knight, but feel free to mention where they're useful.

Side note: I think it was mentioned somewhere that SN might create a forums for classes (or maybe mages in particular) to discuss strategy and tactics?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:58 am 
High Priest of Penguins

Umm well... considering its a level 50 MONK, it can chase down just about anyone (or thing) in the server. Very useful sometimes.

Then lets look at the DC 75 stunning fist. It gets 50 of them per summon. I'd call that useful since even high ascensions sorc/pally blends will have trouble making that save consistently.

Next, try the DC 55 quivering palm. Not as hard to save against, but more deadly.

Mummy dust does not hit hard. Its not supposed to. Its purpose is to disable foes, and possibly kill them if it stuns well enough. Believe me, while it may not look threatening on paper, even high AC dex toons are wary of it, since a 20 on a stun fist attempt more or less spells defeat.

Dragon Knight is fine as well, though its uses are a bit more obvious. Will let you figure that out. All I'll say is that there's a reason why Gemini's rewards are wanted so much. :-D

Tuecer, Servant of the Viridian
Tahsh, Mi Eme-Gir A-Helon
Asie, Igi-Me A-Helon
Belia, Dul Um-Ma A-Helon

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:59 am 
Ninja Pirate Penguin

richip wrote:
It's level is so high, it attracts extra difficult creatures, yet it's not capable of killing some of them, even one on one. Worse, it seeps a lot of XP.
I always thought about this as a big advantage -> double XP time! :D With the use of mass destruction spells you won't even notice the little XP loss caused by your summon.

richip wrote:
Care has to be taken not to bring it into high AB KD territory as it has a Discipline of 15.
Well done you found one of it's weakness. But nothing to worry. Support your "Greater Mellus Defender"**. Do some experiments with disable spells or save-or-die spells. If you disable 2 of 3 monsters your summon has much better chances to win the fight.

** formerly known as "Greater Dwarven Creation" or green golem, epic summon)

richip wrote:
It's AC is so high, most creatures' AI decide they'd target the caster.
Do you fear the darkness? (a little hint)

richip wrote:
My question to you is: in what situations do you think that summon is tactically or even strategically beneficial?
Tuecer already mentioned most hightlights. Maybe one thing to add here: The safest place is in the back of your epic summon (if it is not surrounded by foes, of course). Take advantage of the area and the environment. Even if your epic summon can't kill the monster it is very good for standing in the way ;-)

richip wrote:
Side note: I think it was mentioned somewhere that SN might create a forums for classes (or maybe mages in particular) to discuss strategy and tactics?
I'm sure you will find such a thread in each realm forum. But feel free to start one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:37 am 
DM Penguin Deity

As to the xp, here is a fact you are overlooking. With the spell Mummy Dust active, you spawn double monsters in many places. True, each monster yields slightly fewer experience points but, compare. One sewer rat at approximately 380 xp per kill or two at approximately 330 xp per kill. The strength of the spawn helps to ensure your survivabtility of the encounter and you get 660 experience points for only slightly more effort that would have gained you 380. Advantage? I think so. Like many things here on SN, not all the advantages are obvious and playing and talking to others provides information and experience.

My mantra is still interact, in game, OOC and on the forum. Learning is fun when it comes from experience and conversation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:23 pm 
Pack Penguin

Thanks for the answers. Believe me, my intention wasn't to attack the design. It's really to extract strategies for its use.

For example, one nice thing about the monk summon is that it Evades so AoE spells that normally harm allies just pass through it. To heck with Evade, it can shrug off practically anything with its juicy SR.

I guess I was looking more for tips on how to play them, and thankfully I got bits & pieces of ideas. Thanks, everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:05 pm 
Ninja Pirate Captain Penguin

My archers would LOVE an epic summons to beat up fighters while I shoot them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:09 pm 
Pack Penguin

*sings* "Buff! Buff! Buff the summon!"

Hehe. I can't wait to get an epic summon. I personally think the Hired Knight at level 6 for my cleric is friggin cheesy but I love letting him loose in the warehouse fully buffed with the spiderlings.

:wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:05 am 
King of Penguins

richip wrote:

pvp