StormNexus

A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
It is currently Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Counter spell mage
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:37 am 
Master of Penguins

Could someone show me what this build looks like and explain it to me...I understand the theroy and purpose.I dont understand the mechanics and methods...*Waits for toofer to chime in*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:32 am 
Ninja Pirate Captain Penguin

Well, from what I know, all mages can counter spell. Mords is a spell that'll counter every spell under the sun. (If I'm wrong on that, someone correct me. Please? :lol:) So, if you have a mage, sorcerer preferably so you'll have more spell choices (not worrying about spells slots) than a wizard would, just throw on counter spell and you're set. :D

Ah... also, the only thing I HATE about counter spell is that you can't quick slot it. -_-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:45 am 
Ninja Pirate Penguin

All mages and clerics can counter. You just need a high spellcraft and a resonably high level of spellcasting to counter most spells.

Yep. I Agree. Being able to quickslot counter-spell will really make a difference especially when defending :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:52 am 
Pack Penguin

best counterspell mage is a sorc 40+ chr take all the universal counters like mords.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:30 am 
Master of Penguins

thats mordians destruction..os something like that right..and the counter ability is in your abilty screen of your charcter, like whrilwind attack?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:36 pm 
Ninja Pirate Captain Penguin

to acitvate counterspell mode:

right click the mage/cleric you want to counterspell
in the radial menu, go to the spells sections
there somewhere you got the two casting modes: defensive and counterspelling.
choose coutnerspelling by clicking on it - voilà.

(sorry I can't be more specific... spells are somewhere round 1 or 2 o'clock in the radial menu... the casting modes... somewhere round 10 or 11 o'clock.)

Cerranna, Velanna, Bryn, Lonna, Kerri
Deceased:
Ehlanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:52 pm 
Ninja Pirate Penguin

SIMKEN_LORDAXE wrote:
thats mordians destruction..

Mordenkainen's Disjunction I believe. The reason sorcs would be a better choice is that you don't have to memorize the spell to activate it. If you have 10 spells for level 9 then you have 10 counters. With a wizard, you can only counterspell with the number of Mords you have memorized for that day. If you memorized only 3 then you have 3 chances.

Maximillian
Dis'daynian of Darkwood
George

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:38 pm 
Pirate Penguin

catbird_1969 wrote:
SIMKEN_LORDAXE wrote:
thats mordians destruction..

Mordenkainen's Disjunction I believe. The reason sorcs would be a better choice is that you don't have to memorize the spell to activate it. If you have 10 spells for level 9 then you have 10 counters. With a wizard, you can only counterspell with the number of Mords you have memorized for that day. If you memorized only 3 then you have 3 chances.

You can also counter if you have the exact same spell memorized, because they are used up first before the dispels. So if you know what spells mages usually cast you can fill your slots with the same spells to counter, instead of filling them with dispels. Otherwise you may be using up a level 9 Mords spell slot for a level 8 spell when you could just memorize the spell you need.

You click on the metamagic feats then select counter spell in the radial menu when you left click the mage or cleric you want to counter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:50 pm 
High Priest of Penguins

Karad wrote:
You can also counter if you have the exact same spell memorized, because they are used up first before the dispels. So if you know what spells mages usually cast you can fill your slots with the same spells to counter, instead of filling them with dispels. Otherwise you may be using up a level 9 Mords spell slot for a level 8 spell when you could just memorize the spell you need.

You click on the metamagic feats then select counter spell in the radial menu when you left click the mage or cleric you want to counter.

Reason number 204 why Sorcs are awesome....

Some spells also have specific spells that can be used to counter them as well, like slow counters haste and vice versa.

This might help too: http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Counterspell

Tuecer, Servant of the Viridian
Tahsh, Mi Eme-Gir A-Helon
Asie, Igi-Me A-Helon
Belia, Dul Um-Ma A-Helon

Post subject: Re: Counter spell mage
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:32 pm 
King of Penguins

SIMKEN_LORDAXE wrote:
*Waits for toofer to chime in*

You me Einer (me)? Toofer plays a cleric.

But anyway, there are several good mages on the server, and it seems they have covered this topic pretty well. One other note, counterspelling is limited by range and line of sight. And a sorc (not wizzy) with all available universal counters would be devisating to any other mage or cleric he/she could keep countered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:52 pm 
Master of Penguins

Thanks guys...

Post subject: Mages
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:20 pm 
Pink Penguin

I have some questions needed to be answered... one, what is the formula for this, I am assuming spellcraft matches against a mages concentration/ and or spell craft to determine if it works... so against a 40 Sorc... 60-70 spellcraft would counter?

I am curious because I have seen mages having a hard time dispelling clerics because of this formula... if I can figure this out, and why the sorcerer didn't dispell the cleric, I think I could make the perfect cleric... please help :lol: :lol: :lol:

also I have noticed the more concentration... the more damage, is concentration a big damage factor?

Post subject: Re: Mages
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:14 pm 
Ninja Penguin

ElvesRule wrote:
I have some questions needed to be answered... one, what is the formula for this, I am assuming spellcraft matches against a mages concentration/ and or spell craft to determine if it works... so against a 40 Sorc... 60-70 spellcraft would counter?

Concentration and Spellcraft never interact, at least as far as I know. Spellcraft allows you to identify spells cast by other people, and it grants you a bonus to your saves against spells of +1 for every 5 points of total spellcraft score you have (not in D&D PnP, but here in NWN).
Concentration helps you to keep casting while being distracted, meaning here in NWN: You take damage. As far as I know, the Concentration Skill Check has a DC equal to 10 + the damage taken (+ spell level, if it was a spell). If you fail the roll, your spell is lost.
Countering a spell only works with the same spell, a specially named counter spell or general counter spells like Dispel Magic or Mordenkainen's Disjunction.

ElvesRule wrote:
I am curious because I have seen mages having a hard time dispelling clerics because of this formula... if I can figure this out, and why the sorcerer didn't dispell the cleric, I think I could make the perfect cleric... please help :lol: :lol: :lol:

To dispel, you have to use special spells, such as Dispel Magic or Mords. Depending on the spell, you make a caster level check (d20+caster level in the class you cast the spell) against a DC of 11 + caster level of the target spell. But only Mord allows you to add your full caster level. So if an enemy casts a spell at caster level 40, and you only have 10 caster levels, you can't dispel the spell with Dispel Magic.
And there are the Spell Breach spells: Lesser Spell Breach, Spell Breach and Mordenkainen's Disjunction. They will strip the target of certain spells without a check (e.g. Stoneskin,...)

ElvesRule wrote:
also I have noticed the more concentration... the more damage, is concentration a big damage factor?

Concenctration does not help to improve spellpower (at least I have never seen such an effect).

I hope that helps a bit.

~Gandalf

PS: A look into the NWN-Wiki might clarify some things, too: http://nwn.wikia.com

Characters:
Barundar Stoneshield (Izbad Duraz Alug ov th' Templars ov Mal-Grey)
Feldryn (mage)
Dolgrim Stoneshield (Uzn Baruk, Templars ov Mal-Grey)

Post subject: Re: Mages
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:25 pm 
Pink Penguin

Yes it does thanks a lot!
That leads to another question, now the items here,.... if you are a monk, and use a ent, if dispelled it goes away instantly? edit: as in no roll*

sorry thats the last question

Last edited by ElvesRule on Sat May 24, 2008 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:26 pm 
Ninja Penguin

As far as I know, a dispelled spells ends instantly (the graphic animation might fade slowly, but the spell effect is gone at once).

~Gandalf

Characters:
Barundar Stoneshield (Izbad Duraz Alug ov th' Templars ov Mal-Grey)
Feldryn (mage)
Dolgrim Stoneshield (Uzn Baruk, Templars ov Mal-Grey)