StormNexus

A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Future
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:43 pm 
Seer of Penguins

Okay... so the server is inactive right now. There was a revival some months ago but it flopped. I didn't post this to point fingers though. I actually don't even have NWN installed to see if the server even runs online anymore :shock:

These might be controversial questions, but that might be exactly what needs to be asked for a straight answer?

What are the plans with the server? Is there even any?

Does anyone still even want to play anymore?

Who's left / who will come back? Who's done for good?

What's the scenario with the current host Gem? Is she ready to re-host or pass on the torch?

Do players want a new host with a version of the SN mod already without support of the current host/staff?

Honestly - this place has had something for all of us. Great friendships were forged, lots of fun times but we also had players who we always wanted to strangle (like me?). Maybe all that/SN is over and i'm actually OK with that - but maybe it isn't over. This was just my fav. server on my fav. old game.

If anything, this is just a chance to give an answer. I guess i'm just pretty curious... which might just kill the squirrel.

Blue

Post subject: Re: Future
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:26 am 
Ninja Penguin

BlueSquirrel wrote:
Okay... so the server is inactive right now. There was a revival some months ago but it flopped. I didn't post this to point fingers though. I actually don't even have NWN installed to see if the server even runs online anymore :shock:

These might be controversial questions, but that might be exactly what needs to be asked for a straight answer?

What are the plans with the server? Is there even any?

Does anyone still even want to play anymore?

Who's left / who will come back? Who's done for good?

What's the scenario with the current host Gem? Is she ready to re-host or pass on the torch?

Do players want a new host with a version of the SN mod already without support of the current host/staff?

Honestly - this place has had something for all of us. Great friendships were forged, lots of fun times but we also had players who we always wanted to strangle (like me?). Maybe all that/SN is over and i'm actually OK with that - but maybe it isn't over. This was just my fav. server on my fav. old game.

If anything, this is just a chance to give an answer. I guess i'm just pretty curious... which might just kill the squirrel.

Blue

I do hope there are plans for the server, I was always interested and eager to play Stormnexus. So I still want to play on Stormnexus, and I think two of my friends want to come back and play the game too.

I had a few reasons to why I wanted to leave and take a break for awhile, though the major reason was that I simply didn't have enough time in my hands to play the server. I'm not going to list some of the reasons why I didn't come on, but one of them was that it felt as if the server was swaying away from PVP..Now don't get me wrong, I love RPing but all the new things that were added in made it too easy to fight other players with..Some of those could have been easily avoided if a player gave their opinions on the subject. Another reason I left is that I felt as if I as the player didn't get of a say, and of course the server went (Or still goes by) for the players, by the players..right? I'm not trying to bash anyone here but I feel as if some of the DM's made a few mistakes and or continued on with what they had planned but never stopped and asked other players on their stand on it. So I would just love a 'tip and idea' board to be created so players + Dm's can discuss the matter of X and Y there, and talk about things that are currently still in the server that bothers them. That's if a board that's similar to this hasn't been created yet. Even though I am happy on playing SN whenever I get a chance, i'd be even more happy if there was more player and DM interaction..

I just think things like this - "Sometimes taking a step forward turns out to be a bad step, perhaps thinking about what you're going to do next is for the best, sometimes it's better to take a step back."

Anyways, I did make a lot of friends through SN..And I want to catch up on them since they were awesome to hang around with! Game on folks and I hope to see ya soon.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:17 pm 
Ninja Pirate Penguin

Location: Nomming kittens. Ich esse Katzen jeden Tag. *Om nom.*
I'd like to come back . . . This is sort of a busy time of year for me (and I'm sure for everyone else), so I haven't had a chance to check in. But if there's any hope for the server, I'd love to come back.

Sylvans:
Yuvie - Pixie fighter of the Sis'Ralar
Febriel Latoneren : Main - Elven shadow warrior of Eringalen
Spark'a'loo - Oaken magician of the Phansee
Shivani - Shae healer of the Sis'Ralar
Zephyr - Vulpe archer of the Sis'Ralar
Ania Kelteel - Priestess of Eringalen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:11 pm 
Ninja Pirate Penguin

I long to come back but I don't want to return to a dead server again. We'd need a continuation to the stories. As far as hosting/DMing I'm not meaning to talk down or anything but if the current host and DMs want to keep up on it, cool. If not, please pass on the torch to someone who will keep it up.
And Bum I can agree about the PVP. Though I tended to shy away from it because a lot of times it was PVP for the sake of PVP and nothing story-wise could come of it. In my opinion RP and PVP need to work hand-in-hand. Without a serious PVP that's more than just "lawls let's go raid the daemons because yes" there isn't much room for story progression.

Almond Fleetfoot - Adventurous humken
Amaethia Silverwind - Urban druid
Minae Morningsong - Love alchemist

✰ Find Me Elsewhere ✰
Twitter: @Amaethia
Tumblr: Amaethia | Amaethiart
Discord: Amaethia

(When in doubt, search for Amaethia cuz I use it everywhere)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:47 am 
Ninja Pirate Penguin

I uninstalled NWN quite some time ago when gamespy died and I didn't see SN reviving.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:06 pm 
Ascension Admin: Penguin Diety

Greetings Mellusians,

Pardon us for being quiet on the Admin side of things, but let's face it.. when you go quiet, we kinda go quiet too.

Storm Nexus lives and dies with you guys. It's hard for us to run events and drive a storyline with minimal population, just as it is hard for you to play without DM involment to further develop and push you PC's. It's symbiotic.

Certainly there were reasons SN went "dark" but I won't bore you with the series of unfortunate events at the host sight that led to SN being shut. Please believe me when I say, it was not intentional. It was cause and effect, something out of Gemini and Xena's hands.

Be that as it may, problems have been fixed, and SN could return.. question is. Will you guys play?

Not for nostalgia, then want massive server changes, only to check out 2 weeks later blaming us for not reworking the entire server in 2 weeks. :) We have all been down that road, and I don't think anyone involved with the server wants that. No fingers, no blame.. we all know what SN is, and what NWN is and isn't

The amount of manpower behind SN, is commensurate, with the server population. Minimal.

If you want it back, and you wanna play on it.. that can happen, but there has to be a high level of patience and commitment from you, as well as us.. We must work together, as a united team of players, server hosts and admins. we cannot be bitter... blaming him, her or them, it must be positive.

Let the dialog continue and we'll see where it goes. :wink:

-Pyx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:14 pm 
Ninja Pirate Penguin

Good to hear from you, Pyx. Like I said, I'm all for bringing back the server. And you guys know I won't complain about pretty much any change you make (obviously not including something incredibly drastic, which we all know you guys wouldn't do for no reason). Aaaaanyway. Yeah, I'd love to see it come back, and I'll definitely play.

Sylvans:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:23 am 
Seer of Penguins

Fair enough response Pyxis... except for maybe this part:

AT_Pyxis wrote:
Not for nostalgia, then want massive server changes, only to check out 2 weeks later blaming us for not reworking the entire server in 2 weeks.

Sounds like a contradiction to no finger pointing. :? Which I guess i'm about to do in all fairness.

Although it offers a good opportunity to address some problems. This is what I call "constructive criticism" - this opportunity being that there is both a reality check for all of us.

Players.... be realistic. It will be a small community with a small staff. We might be able to reach numbers of 15-25 on a regular basis in some months time, but it will take dedication and perseverance. It can be home again though and really fun. Especially when it comes to idea making. Every one of us has an idea of what the ideal server is, but we'll have to respect what SN is (which obviously has some charm since we've all played here for so long). It'll be a balance of all the things of the past and with new twists from us. That being said, this shouldn't be a turn off for us to want only the best and some new things or rather new ways to get old things (server wipe anyone?).

Dms.... you have the job of supply and demand. The server sadly flopped, and the reality is you guys are players too and were part of the problem. I know... so much for no finger pointing, but I guess i'm taking a jab too in hopes that we can move forward. A lot of old DM's are going to be gone like the players, so you'll have to find appropriate recruiting methods for X number of players returning -- you guys can work out that stuff since your the experts.

However, I would strongly encourage the re-examination of the hosting situation... and I can already sense some of the anger that might cause and disapproval of this post. It's not a personal attack on Gem and Xena or so much the stability issues, rather that I think a new pair of hands is healthy for growth - just as Polaris was before Gem. I can speak for all players of saying thank you for spending real money from your own pocket on this server and letting us have a place to play. You took the responsibility that was given to you seriously from the hosts before you and did your best. So thank you for offering this opportunity to all of us, and that you'd continually support this server by offering to host again. It's hard to not sound like an ungrateful whelp while posting something like this - because I don't want or mean to be disrespectful. Perhaps this will offer an opportunity for Gem and Xena to work out the important issues or unfortunate events that they may be going through. They say "time heals all wounds" - as a fellow player I only wish the best to you two.

And of course I have no real authority or position of power over that entire paragraph. It's just a suggestion. One that may end me up on the electric chair of SN. Hopefully not, because I just want to see this server move forward if it is within our power.

In with the old... and the new?

With respect and truly the best regards,

Blue

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:19 am 
Ninja Penguin

Quote:
Be that as it may, problems have been fixed, and SN could return.. question is. Will you guys play?

Not for nostalgia, then want massive server changes, only to check out 2 weeks later blaming us for not reworking the entire server in 2 weeks. We have all been down that road, and I don't think anyone involved with the server wants that. No fingers, no blame.. we all know what SN is, and what NWN is and isn't

Corthern and I will play again, though there are no promises that we'll come on every single day -yet-. Perhaps when summer starts and if the server is even up by then..I will play as much as I can if I can get hooked again. Also, to be honest if you want an input from me, you guys have a ton of opportunity just standing there while the server is idle (Or dead?). If you guys want to bring it back up, grasp as hard as you can on that opportunity and try to exploit your opportunity while it still stands. What I am trying to get at, is that while the servers are down now it's the perfect chance to ask players what you want to add, delete, or even add stuff in secretly that players will love (A surprise!), and you got more time to work on updates/edits than you did when the server was up, that's how I always see things if I ever work on updates for a server.

Quote:
(server wipe anyone?).

Now that the server is down, I would be more than happy to agree with a server wipe. One of the reasons why I disagreed with the idea in the first place was because the server was just up and running. Things were going on when the server was on, if the DM team decided to do that while the server was up, it would probably kill it (I'd have left no doubt), it wasn't the right timing..But having a level 40 and coming onto a server that has been down for a few months now is something I don''t want to do anymore, if we don't reset it will just feel like a reunion..Felt like it when it came up the first time, took me time to get used to the server being back up, but I don't think I can do it again. .Otherwise I just feel as if it's pointless having the server up if it just feels like a reunion.

The DM's deserve their respect for working as hard as they can for the server, but please keep in mind what I said before

Quote:
I'm not trying to bash anyone here but I feel as if some of the DM's made a few mistakes and or continued on with what they had planned but never stopped and asked other players on their stand on it. So I would just love a 'tip and idea' board to be created so players + Dm's can discuss the matter of X and Y there, and talk about things that are currently still in the server that bothers them. That's if a board that's similar to this hasn't been created yet. Even though I am happy on playing SN whenever I get a chance, i'd be even more happy if there was more player and DM interaction..

I feel as if what I said here is important! So don't disregard this idea, lol.

Though if the server does come back up, we should make it 'new' player friendly. It's already friendly as it is, but it could be updated (I'll write the rest of this later..)

Hmm, I might as well make a board for tips and suggestions later. .Otherwise, back to my main point! I'm game with coming back in, i'd love if the server gets reseted. BED TIMEZ WEEEE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:43 pm 
Ninja Pirate Penguin

Heya all, good to hear that somebody out there is still fighting for this old dog ;). I'll say it short and quick, my nwn still runs, so i can get in from time to time, impossible to play as much as i did before, but i guess i can be there. Cheers i'll keep in touch. Raf

Luke uin Eringalen - quiet Archer
Geralt z Rivii ina Sis Ralar
Surqquss Abonayyartu of the Sis Ralar - Barbarian
Vilgefortz Roggeven of the Sis Ralar - Raised Sorcerer
Arag, hunter of Azag
Rafiel'oo Phanase - Crazy halffling
Zagmi Sink ina Sis Ralar - Tank Cleric

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:06 am 
Ninja Pirate Penguin

Great to hear from ya, Pyx! It's reassuring to see a DM in our midst.

Here's some of my thoughts:
I resisted it for a long time but perhaps a server wipe would be best I'd be really sad about losing all the time spent leveling and developing my characters but with so few players and many of our current characters effected by many that are now gone I can see it posing a problem for us all to come together, you know what I mean? A wipe would tear down any alliance barriers (cause we all know there were to some degree). However, if a wipe is in our future I think it'd be good to push the storyline ahead far enough so that we don't cling to past characters and successes.
Another thought is that with our small group perhaps having a time "set" as the norm for activity and events and the like may assist us in logging in and finding people to play with. When the server came back this last time I found it difficult to run into my friends in game, many times just missing each other. Leaving my laptop idle all afternoon for the off-chance of catching someone can be a bit discouraging. With the server list no longer provided I'd imagine it'd be even more-so.

But yeah, I'm toats willing to return, though I more than likely will not be around until the evenings thanks to my work schedule.

Almond Fleetfoot - Adventurous humken
Amaethia Silverwind - Urban druid
Minae Morningsong - Love alchemist

✰ Find Me Elsewhere ✰
Twitter: @Amaethia
Tumblr: Amaethia | Amaethiart
Discord: Amaethia

(When in doubt, search for Amaethia cuz I use it everywhere)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:13 am 
Ninja Pirate Penguin

I hate to be the negative one, but I highly doubt we would be able to revive the server at this point. Perhaps for a short while, but I doubt for anything that will last. The people playing NWN online that are still around are playing on their old servers too, I don't see migration happening when only the most dedicated players are still around. With that said, I can't see the numbers needed to keep this sustainable happening.

On the other side, we could have some success with either a) migrating to a new game and rebuilding mellus, b) staying on nwn and playing scheduled sessions on the server -- in this scenario we would have to find a time the most players could get on, and have a dm run events to keep things lively for a small group. The down side is the pvp and realms would probably go out the window for the most part, and people would probably have to make new characters to have enough players that could get along IC. This is doable but would be difficult. c) staying together as a group, but joining another server on a different game. This would be the worst case besides just letting this community die. We wouldn't have stormnexus, but the players are a part of what made stormnexus great, and we would at least still have that.

Personally, I think the best case would be to rebuild stormnexus on a new platform. If anyone was willing to go this route, I see 2 good options. The best would be nwn2, I know many people hate it because it was broken when it came out, but the expansions and patches seem to have made it very solid, with this, we would be able to have the closest thing possible to our original. The second option, and it is a stretch, would be a heavily modified version of minecraft. Yes I know how ridiculous that sounds, but there are some very good roleplaying mods out for it, and we could also build our own. In addition, building the world would be very easy. It is a stretch, but I could actually see it working very well and getting close to the spirit of stormnexus.

If anyone else would like to make this happen or bash on me for the negativity and horrible ideas, feel free to reply here or pm me.

I would love to be able to get this community going again, and I am willing to do what I can to help. (creating/designing a new world, helping out with the old one, dming, playing, staying out of the way, grilling burgers for everyone, etc.)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:42 pm 
Pink Penguin

I would play here again if it was live. I know a handful that might follow.

-M

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:23 pm 
Ninja Pirate Penguin

Well . . . The more I think about it, I begin to inch closer to the server wipe bandwagon. I never thought I'd be an advocate of it, but I do think a clean slate would be good. I sure would miss some of my characters, but it'd be nice to begin anew without all the baggage.

Sylvans:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:43 pm 
Ninja Pirate Penguin

love the server and would love to play though my times would be sporatic at best...i dont think it will be revived or ever be like it was...no, but to be able to log on and take a keep or too, or get some decent rp or pvp while i have some spare time is always fun